George C. Missick
George is a highly sought after senior attorney who has an extensive knowledge of the local markets, laws and procedures of The Turks and Caicos. With over 19 years experience working in large law firms including Callenders, Bahamas and his own firm Karam & Missick, George decided to embark on forming a boutique law firm Geordins, to better serve his clients.
OVERVIEW AND EXPERIENCE
George is a lethal commercial litigator and also experienced in advising on all aspects of business establishment; corporate structuring and licensing; immigration and permanent residency by investment; real estate development; estate and administration; family law; maritime and aviation and human rights matters. He is also a Notary Public for the Turks and Caicos and Bahamas.
George acts for resorts, banks, individuals, developers and other institutional clients in complex litigation, real estate, corporate, commercial, licensing, immigration and employment matters.
Recent instructions of interest include:
- Representing clients in multimillion dollar shareholder dispute alleging fraud, breach of trust and undue influence involving multiple jurisdictions;
- Representing purchasers of time shares interests in real property in the Dominican Republic in multimillion dollar fraud claim;
- Representing spouse in divorce dispute over very substantial assets, involving allegations of hidden marital assets in complex corporate structures and trusts;
- Representation family of Major League Baseball star in judicial review/asylum matter against unlawful detention by Immigration department;
- Representing investors who lost millions in large ponzi scheme;
- Representation of owners in strata corporation challenging the validity of elections and byelaws forcing owners to rent through management company;
- Claims against hospital and health insurance provider for medical negligence and breach of duties under overseas treatment programme.
- Part of litigation team acting for Save Guana Cay Reef Association in judicial review claim asserting that The Government of the Bahamas had not acted improperly in approving, in principle, a large-scale development that had far reaching economic, social and environmental consequences for the area in which it was to take place.
- 2000 LLB (Hons), University of Buckingham, England
- 2001 Bar Vocational Course – University of The West of England & Wales, Bristol
- Notary Public (Turks & Caicos & The Bahamas)
- The Law Society of England & Wales, Registered Foreign Lawyer
- The Lawyer Network
- 2001 Admitted a Barrister of The Middle Temple, for England & Wales
- 2001 Admitted a counsel and attorney of the Supreme Court of The Bahamas
- 2007 Admitted an attorney of the Supreme Court of The Turks & Caicos
Activities and Affiliations
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Chairman of the Medicine and Dentistry Professions Council of the Turks & Caicos
- Past President of The Turks & Caicos Bar Council
- Former director of the Hope Foundation Autism Awareness TCI
- Past Rotarian and Paul Harris Fellow
- Past Rotaract President
- Legal advisor to Royal Turks & Caicos Islands Police Welfare Association
- Past board member of The Special Olympics Committee of Grand Bahama